Heat pumps are great options for homes on Vancouver Island as they are most efficient in moderate climates where the cold temperatures don't drop below freezing on a regular basis. Heat pumps operate in both cooling and warming modes, making them an excellent choice for year round comfort.
Already a heat pump owner? Awesome! Here's some tricks to keep it running in tip-top shape:
- Like any HVAC system.... filters need to be changed regularly!
- Regularly check the outside unit for debris - think leaves in the fall, snow and ice (Brrrr!) in the winter.
- Keep vegetation from growing within 18 inches of the outside unit.
- Keep indoor registers and vents clear and dust free.
- Try to keep the thermostat set to a steady temperature during the season
Best practice is to research and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and upkeep to ensure efficient operation and a long healthy heat pump life. Stay cool!