This #MaintenanceMonday let's talk about Garage Doors.. To avoid having yours look like the one in the photo... take a look at the DIY maintenance tips below!
1) Don't drive into it... sounds silly, but I know at least one person who did not wait until it was fully open before they started backing into it!
2) Look and Listen - does it run rough? Make a ton of noise when opening and closing? This means it is starting to fail and should be maintained ASAP.
3) Tighten up the Hardware - think of how many times that door opens and closes in a year - nuts and bolts and whogits and whatgits are bound to be loosening off throughout the year.
4) Inspect the Door - check out the door itself, major dents or damage that may be causing it to not align properly? Water damage can also cause wooden doors to swell and warp!
5) Clean The Tracks - clear the tracks and the floor where the door stops of any debris
6) Replace the Weather Stripping - check the weatherstripping and replace if it is brittle, missing, etc. Keep the elements, and the critters out!
7) Lubricate - grease up all the moving parts to ensure smoooooooth operation! Ask your local hardware store for product recommendations.
Dont forget to test the safety reverse features - you can check the mechanical one by placing a piece of wood under the door and attempting to close. It should automatically reverse as soon as it comes into contact with the wood. The photo sensor can easily be tested just by running your leg under the doors path as it is closing. If either are malfunctioning, have a technician look at them right away.
Anything that you aren't comfortable with, and anything that has to do the main cable system should be left to the experts - but these few tips can easily be done at home and can save you some money in repair or replacement bills!
PC: TG Door Service, Edmonton
Post Your Comment: